Leeway is a specialist domestic abuse charity supporting just over 12,000 adults, children and young people every year across Norfolk.
Leeway was established in Norfolk 1974 and was a founding member of WAFE (Women’s Aid Federation England). Our service was set up by a group of women who recognised that there was a need for a refuge in Norwich. This became the third known to open in the country. The service started with a small start up grant from the local authority and was run by volunteers on a collective basis. During the 1980’s and 1990’s the service expanded and developed to meet the needs of the women and children, with the establishment of the After School Club and a Resettlement service.
In 1990 a management committee was established and they have the responsibility for the strategic management and direction of Leeway. Leeway’s Chief Executive oversees the day-to-day aspects of the organisation, in conjunction with the three Operational Managers for Residential Services, Community Services and Central Services.
In 2009, Leeway expanded and has since recognised the need to offer a service to male victims of domestic abuse, and two specialist workers were appointed to undertake this work in Norfolk.
Leeway’s primary objective is to offer advice, support and information to adults and children who have or are still experiencing domestic violence. In order to achieve this, we aim to:
- Provide a confidential, specialised, safe, effective and supportive service for adults and children who have experienced any kind of abuse within a domestic/household relationship.
- Empower those who have suffered domestic violence, enabling them to make independent choices and decisions about their lives.
- Work as a team to ensure the continuation, effectiveness and development of the project and help develop an awareness of domestic abuse throughout Norfolk, and society as a whole.
- Provide the above service for adults and children in Norfolk, along with those seeking refuge from other areas of England, Scotland, Wales or Ireland (where applicable).
- Leeway operates three secure refuges for women and children in Norfolk – click here to find out more about our refuges
- Community Services
- Leeway offers a range of community services for adults and children across Norfolk – click here to find out more about our community services